Explosion in apartment’s kitchen blows out wall, shakes building in Opa-locka

Phylicia Monroe said she was working from her apartment on Friday in Opa-locka. It was quiet until there was an explosion and a fire at a neighboring apartment.

The explosion forced about 100 residents out of their apartments and prompted authorities to call on the American Red Cross for help.

“I heard this big ‘BOOM’ and my son came in,” Monroe said. “We heard the fire alarms go off.”

Assistant Chief Ray Jadallah said one person was injured and needed to be hospitalized. The building at 2281 NW 135 St., remained unsafe on Friday night.

“Some gas was leaking from a stovetop that traveled down the walls. At some point, one of the occupants went to ignite the stovetop causing an explosion,” Jadallah said.

Steven Moss, 14, said he and his family ran out of their apartment. He said they heard the explosion and felt the structure shake.

“I thought the building was going to collapse on top of me,” Steven said.

Read More


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *